Saturday, July 25, 2009

"I Go Back"

I'm frequently told that I have somewhat of a schizophrenic personality. On the one hand I'm a city girl and on the other, a country girl. But when it comes to my musical selections there is no denying that my country aura comes out. Although I sometimes listen to the latest pop hit or an oldie, I just can't help loving country music. There's just something about nearly every song that I can relate to, and if not that I can at least tap along to or have a good time with. Country music tells a story. A story that normal people can relate to, unlike what some of the genre's my generation tend to listen to nowadays. Country music has changed a lot though and now has many subgenre's within itself. Another reason I love country music is because it is so diverse. Tuning into a country station, you may hear a serious song one minute and a fun song the next, but it all comes back to the story that the artist is trying to convey, which for me makes it so wonderful!
Country music first started to become popular around the 1920's. In 1925 the world famous Grand Ole Opry opened it's doors to the public. This past winter I visited the Grand Ole Opry, I went mainly to see Taylor Swift but was pleasantly surprised by the numerous artists who expressed themselves on the stage that night, young and old alike. I had never realized how popular and famous the Grand Ole Opry was until some time after my visit there. The Grand Ole Opry is just one of the ways that country music has filtered through our world and has made a name for itself. I know a lot of people don't particularly care for country music but for me the lyrics of a country song take me back somewhere I once was or somewhere I want to go.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

That's my girl! I agree wholeheartedly the appeal of country music is in its easily related to stories.